Thursday, October 23, 2008

Art Speigelman...Revolutionizing Comics


I have admired Art Speigelman's work ever since I read his graphic novel Maus: A Survivor's Tale as a senior in high school. Published in 1991, it was a graphic rendering of his parents survival of World War II and the Holocaust. That someone could portray such harsh realities and deep emotions in a comic was a great surprise to me, but Speigelman does it in a way that seems so simple. It is one of the most effective reflections on World War II and the Holocaust I have ever encountered. It is completely deserving of the Pulitzer Prize it won in 1992. He has just published a new book called Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@?*!. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it is another memoir, this time documenting Speigelman's comics over his career. The politically charged, emotional graphics are definitely worth the time. Check both out.

No comments: